Wake the Dragon! (included in IHS51 week registration)
IHS51 offers an incredible program in itself, and now there is another reason to visit Ghent next summer: our two-day event Wake the Dragon, aimed at non-professional horn players.
Wake the Dragon is a joint project of the Mengal Ensemble, School of Arts Ghent, the Flemish Amateur Music association Vlamo and the International Horn Society.
On Saturday 6 July we attempt to break the world record for largest horn ensemble ever around the medieval Ghent Belfry.
This event call at the international community of players and horn enthusiasts.
We are reaching out to music societies, horn studios, and individual horn passionates in Belgium and abroad to join in.
In a nutshell:
–Wake the Dragon! : Friday 5 and Saturday 6 july 2019
–Where? School of Arts Ghent, Belgium
-on Friday: concerts, workshops, massed ensembles in level groups,
-on Saturday: large ensemble rehearsals, concert by Ghengis Barbie, Guiness World Record attempt lead by maestro Dirk Brossé, ending in an evening festival around the conservatory and a nocturne of the vendor exhibitions.
–Price: 2 days 60€/Saturday only: 40€ (including WtD HighVis, saturday lunch, entrance to Exhibitor’s hall)
Practical information & schedule:
Registration: up to 25 June 2019
Schedule (subject to change):
- Friday 5 July:
- 08:00-12:30 WtD Participants can join all IHS51 friday morning activities, exhibits and concerts
- Markus Bonna Horn Run (8:30, start at Campus Wijnaert)
- Young Prodigy recital (11:15, Miry Hall)
- Ghengis Barbie workshop “Putting the FUN in Fundamentals” (Campus Bijloke, 12:30)
- 11:00-13:45 WtD Registration, campus Bijloke
- 14:00-18:00 Ensemble sessions, workshops and masterclasses at School of Arts, Campus Bijloke
- 19:30 Concert with Brussels Philharmonic and international soloists (not included in WtD ticket)
- Saturday 6 July:
- 9:30-12:30 General massed ensemble rehearsal for World Record Breaking attempt (location TBD)
- 12:30-13:30 Complementary Lunch
- 14:00-15:15 Ghengis Barbie in concert, Ghent City Event Hall
- 16:00-17:00 Guiness World Record breaking attempt, Ghent Belfry & Cathedral Square (with collaboration of Ghent Belfry Carillon)
- 17:00-20:00 WtD and IHS51 Afterparty @ Biezekapelstraat
Ensemble repertoire (TBC):
- Patrick Housen, Call to Horns (IHS51 tune)
- Dirk Brossé, Horn Ensemble
- Christopher Wiggins, Canto
- James Horner (arr. R. Bissill): Titanic Fantasy
- Richard Wagner: Pilgrim’s Choir from Tannhauser
Parts: Will be available for download from 1 may 2019. Please bring your own printed parts